The YSN-ASM Chrysalis Award is a flagship leadership program of YSN-ASM. The term “Chrysalis” refers to “a transitional stage of life when undergoing a transformation between the immature and mature stages”, in analogy to the process that postgraduate students (pupal) undergo that culminate in successful graduation as competent researchers (butterfly). We aim to identify and nurture promising PhD candidates to be the future pillars of our Science, Technology and Innovation (STI) ecosystem. Selected YSN-ASM Chrysalis Award Finalists whom will experience continuous support and mentoring for the next five years after the program. This step is to ensure that these finalists are empowered to be outstanding researchers who will contribute towards Malaysia’s STI ecosystem. In recognition for their talents, we will award RM 10,000 cash prizes (in total) for the top three winners for their professional development. Suitable candidates will also be recommended to prestigious fellowships or internships in reputable institutions and establishments.
- To identify and recognise the talents of promising future researchers in Malaysia.
- To develop and nurture these future researchers to fulfil their potential.
- To empower these future researchers in alignment with the Science, Technology and Innovation (STI) outlook of Malaysia.
BENEFITS to FINALIST
- Undergo extensive training with experts from industries and academia to be future science leaders.
- Mentoring programme with YSN-ASM Members and Industry
- Open to other dimensions of research which synergise multidisciplinary research collaboration.
- Malaysian citizens aged 35 years and below at 1 January 2021.
- Final year PhD students studying in Malaysia
- Research expertise falls within (but not limited to) the following domains:
- Engineering Sciences
- Medical and Health Sciences
- Physical and Chemical Sciences
- Biological, Agricultural and Environmental Sciences
- Science and Technology Development Industry
- Social Sciences and Humanities
Our aspiration for the Chrysalis Award is not only to build the talents and skills of our young scientists to positively impact the STI ecosystem, but also to inculcate the spirit of giving back to our society.
The journey of this leadership programme is divided into four stages:
(1) IDENTIFY: Shortlisting of Fifteen young scientists as YSN-ASM Chrysalis Award Finalists.
(2) DEVELOP: Development of these YSN-ASM Chrysalis Award Finalists through training modules organised by YSN-ASM to bolster relevant transferable skills and networking with outstanding local scientists.
(3) RECOGNISE: Recognising Three winners for the YSN-ASM Chrysalis Award. These Finalists are shortlisted based on their demonstration of knowledge, enthusiasm, leadership, creativity, teamwork, presentation skills, and performance throughout the workshops and pitching programme.
(4) EMPOWER: Invitation to all YSN-ASM Chrysalis Award Finalists and Winners to contribute to the STI ecosystem through YSN-ASM activities for the following years.
You are required to prepare the following for the application process:
- Curriculum Vitae and Passport photo
- Motivational Essay (200 words): Describe your research and life experience, and how have these shaped your ambitions for the future? How would society benefit from this?
- Design an A4-sized Poster (PNG, TIFF format) in softcopy. The poster should explain about your PhD research work and its impact or value to society. The poster should be creative but concise and targeted at non-specialist researchers.
- Supporting documents as attachment
- Attachment to be prepared as ZIP file which includes the following:
- Support letter from main supervisor, which discuss the applicants achievement and soft skills abilities
- Article indexing on Web of Science and (b) Journal ranking from Journal Citation Report (JCR) or Scopus
- Copy of articles.
- Supporting document such as certificates or letters
Applicants are encouraged to go through the application form first before preparing your materials.
15 February 2021Opening of the new call for YSN-ASM Chrysalis Award.
15 March 2021Application for YSN-ASM Chrysalis Award will be closed.
15 April 2021Shortlisted YSN-ASM Chrysalis Award Finalists will be contacted via email. All finalists must commit to attend all virtual workshops. Schedule will be given to all finalists.
May – October 2021Online Skills Development Workshop Series
August 2021Online Proposal Preparation Workshop Series
November 2021Grand Finale & Award Ceremony